Monday, July 20, 2009

Czech

Hey so this is the first chance any of us has gotten to use a computer since we've been here, so we apologize for not posting anything earlier. We've been in the Czech Republic for about 36 hours now so I'll fill you in on everything that has happened so far.

We all left JFK around 6 o'clock on Saturday night and arrived between 7 am and 2 pm (Czech Time) on Sunday morning in Prague. There were buses that met us at the airport and took us straight to the course, where we met other members of the US team and had a chance to check out the course. The venue is incredible. It's 8 lanes wide, marked every 250 meters with towers, and has a pretty big grandstand. We didn't have a chance to practice on Sunday afternoon because our boat was still in transit so instead, I ran two laps around the course. This gave me a good opportunity to see it from every angle and I've concluded that it's by far the nicest 2000 meter course I've been to.

Our boat arrived this morning and after almost three hours of rigging and scrambling to find missing parts, we put on our Team USA unisuits for the first time and went out for a row. There has been a really strong tailwind ever since we arrived so it has made practice pretty interesting. We still have a few things to work out with the boat but overall, we are rowing pretty well and I'm getting very excited to race.

The area surrounding the course is really nice as well. The 30 minute drive from the hotel to the race course provides a lot of beautiful scenery including several small villages, distant mountains, and something I have never seen before: hops farms. One great thing about this area that Pete pointed out earlier is that it's a place that none of us would probably ever travel to on our own, so we feel very privileged to be here.

The food is also really good, which is both a blessing and a curse. Part of me was hoping I wouldn't like it so I could just stick to eating the food I brought, making it easier for me to lose weight. However, I can never seem to get enough of the breakfast pastries and the entrees they serve for dinner.

I can't think of much else to fill you all in on, but as we continue preparing for racing, we'll write more. Hope everyone is doing well back home. Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Will, thanks for the updates. I finally found the venue on Google Earth (look for Steti, Czech and it takes you right to the kanal). How does it compare to the Bosbaan? Are you staying in Steti? I also see there is a large paper mill in Steti, and I would guess that throws off a little pollution and perhaps a good odor too. Otherwise, I can see there is not much other than farm land surrounding the kanal. By the way, there is a you tube video about the kayaking program there...looks pretty competitive. Keep posting...and stay away from the pastries! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Will-
    I am so psyched for you!!! Sounds like an amazing place for the amazing race yet to come (which of course will end with you and your buddies high atop the podium!) Take this all in deeply and savor every moment... these are the good times and you're havin' em! My thoughts are with you and we all wish you the very best. Now go KILL IT!!!
    XOXO Lulu

    ReplyDelete